Tuesday, June 8, 2021

The Framework for Building Zion

 


ZION. I simply love that word. It represents so much of the ideal and desired direction, as well as the complete opposite of what we understand in our everyday experiences. Living in a society of one heart and one mind in righteousness - What else could anyone want? If I were to identify my personal dream or desired mission for life, it would be to contribute, even in ever so small a way, to the building up of this glorious standard.

Building Zion doesn’t necessarily entail erecting a structure. It isn’t really something that requires monetary investment, at least not at this point. And it isn’t entirely my doing my part of aligning with Christ and hoping that others will do the same in order to become united. Building Zion requires something even more. It requires influence - and that influence comes in the form of teaching.

Think about that. Teaching. Teaching is what calibrates the many into one. Being a disciple of Christ includes being a teacher for him. Teaching is required to bring about God’s city on earth. Teaching is what has to take place so that when Christ comes again, he will have a dwelling place here on earth. Not only is education the battleground for freedom (that continues the war that began in heaven), but teaching is the format that brings about Christ’s return (pending, of course, on the Lord’s timing). Talk about having a good ‘why’ for pursuing a life’s work in education.

Not the type of teaching that is a presentation in a classroom setting. Not because the teachers have had extensive professional training and certifications that qualify them as experts at their science. And certainly not because the student passes a fabricated test and is now a member of a Zion community.

No. Real teaching involves being a light or example that illustrates the elements of truth that penetrate into the heart of the learner. Teaching that has the sanction and power of the spirit. Teaching that impacts the student to make changes to their very nature.  Of course, that rarely happens in just one lesson. It is going to require a lot of little drops of oil to fill our lamps of readiness.


 When I was attending my university studies, I was introduced to the Danielson Framework for teaching. It was a powerful visual that seemed to identify and arrange the components of teaching in a very organized and foundational manner. I was almost persuaded to have it become my personal model. But the system in which it is utilized is lacking the very source of what could be its strength. A Godless institution can never produce effective teachers. We need an entirely different framework in order to produce the type of teaching that will bring about a Zion people.


So, of course, I attempted my hand at creating a new framework that would not only include the gospel message but also have a heavy reliance on the Spirit. “If ye have not the spirit, ye cannot teach”, right? But, as is often the case, the church already had a framework for teaching, called ‘Teaching in the Savior’s Way’, and it was beautifully done. The Danielson Framework focuses on professionalism and management of the student. The church’s framework focuses on Love - love for the Savior and love for the student.

I long to bring about the establishment of Zion. I yearn to be instrumental in that process. My influence may be minimal in the grand scheme of things. But if it helps the cause and joins the mighty wave of persuasion, then lets get building.

1 comment:

  1. "Real teaching involves being a light or example that illustrates the elements of truth that penetrate into the heart of the learner. Teaching that has the sanction and power of the spirit. Teaching that impacts the student to make changes to their very nature."

    Thank you for being a teacher to me. This statement beautifully illustrates my experience as I have shared time with you and your family. I feel edified and I left each day with a sense of purpose, a direction for my immediate and long term future. I continue to learn from you through your writing. I am ever grateful.

    ReplyDelete