Monday, April 20, 2020

Speaking the Language of Religion

A number of years ago, I attended a book colloquia that helped me to identify something about myself that I hadn’t really noticed before. I don’t recall the book we were discussing but my aha really had nothing to do with the message found within the pages of the book.

One person in the group made a somewhat lengthy comment about an insight she had gained while reading the book. Again, I don’t remember the comment though I do recall the feeling associated behind her comment. It was very touchy-feely with words like ‘connecting with their heart’ and ‘communicating to the inner child’ or ‘gain access to the passions inside the soul’. I may be completely off but I recall it had that type of emotion behind it.

Shortly after, another comment was made but this time the background of the comment came from a religious perspective or angle – such as referencing ‘the true self’ or ‘remembering who they were in the pre-existence’ or ‘have the Holy Ghost speak to their spirit’, etc. Again, I may be way off, however the comment definitely had a spiritual or religious undertone to it.

The irony was as I analyzed those two different comments, they basically had expressed the exact same idea – the only difference being the style in which they presented it. Although I was intrigued by the first comment (touchy-feely) - it had merit and perspective that was worthy of consideration - however, when the second comment was made (religious verbiage), I resonated with it at a much deeper level of understanding. What I discovered about myself …? Similar to the fact that I am a visual learner, an introvert, or a #3 energy type - religion is my preferred language.  

On the same note, revelation is my preferred epistemology. If you talk to me about ‘studies have shown’ (imperisism) or ‘officials state’ (mandarinism) or ‘experts suggest’ (credentialism), I may or may not buy into whatever you are trying to communicate. In fact, I’ve seen these forms of evidence abused so much in comparison to what I view as the ultimate source of truth, that they really carry very little weight in my mind. However, if you tell me you had an impression, or quote one of the general authorities, or mention a scripture – I am much more easily persuaded to believe and act accordingly.


The irony, of course, is we live in a time when religion is under attack, and so my preferred voice may not be well received by others. I do find it interesting that avid anti-religionists shout about how oppressed people have been under the “reign of religion” and how much better they are now that “science” and “reason” have liberated them. I feel just the opposite. I am “offended” that religious expression is taken out of our schools and our government. And since science cannot “prove” anything (it can only disprove), and the interpretation of the ‘disproof’ can be twisted to whatever agenda they are wanting to promote, I question scientific backing. It just isn’t my preferred style of language.

I sometimes wonder how First Foundations Academy, with its emphasis on scriptural backing and defending the exercise of religion in the context of secular knowledge, can ever become a reality. What if I’m the only one who speaks that jargon? I also wonder how to create it without it being considered priestcraft due to the religious undertones and the need to be funded in order to function. There are still lots of questions in regard to my efforts to follow this prompting.

This much I do know. I know that we are experiencing and carrying out the great plan of Happiness. I know the gospel of Jesus Christ is true and eternal (beyond the academic trends of the day). I know that pure gospel has been restored and we live in the fullness right now.  I know I want to have a personal relationship with my Savior and follow the specific guidance I receive through the spirit.

And I know that my preferred vocabulary is the one that supports these truths the best. No disguise or universal generalities needed. No separation of secular truths from spiritual truths. No need to give my allegiance to Babylon when the invitation of Zion is before me. If religious verbiage is good enough for Heavenly Father to establish and promote, it is good enough for me to support in my usage. I speak religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment